NOAH AOC

The Albinism Online Community
Welcome to NOAH AOC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Ad: Reoommend a Dr.

Albinism in girls

Last post 09-14-2003 12:00 AM by amitche1. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-31-2003 12:00 AM

• BeccasMom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-31-2003
    • Posts 2
    • Points 115

Albinism in girls

I would love to hear from parents with girls diagnosed with albinism..and am curious to hear with what type of albinism your daughter was diagnosed with. I'm new at this ..I have 7 children and the last born was diagnosed with OA at 5 months of age...a girl nonetheless..from everything I've read online and researched this is not a common type of albinism in a girl...(none of my other children have albinism) please share what you know.]
    • Post Points: 110
  • 09-05-2003 12:00 AM In reply to

• Suzy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-08-2003
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Is it definitely OA?

I only ask b/c sometimes it actually is OCA, but the skin/hair symptoms are mild enough that it's not diagnosed. See my Sept 5 post -- my daughter has OCA.
    • Post Points: 5
  • 09-07-2003 12:00 AM In reply to

• Lmt00
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-22-2002
    • Posts 27
    • Points 135

Re: Albinism in girls

Originally posted by Jessica_Trask:
    Beccas Mom,

There is a recessive gene for Ocular Albinism that does affect girls and boys equeally.

I myself have Ocular Albinism. I've not met an other girl, teenager or audlt with Ocular Albinism.

Jessica Trask
    vtmapleprincess@adelphia.net or
    Aim: JessicaTrask College students come join collegestudentswithalbinism
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/collegestudentswithalbinism/
    I just recently started another group on yahoogroups. http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/educatorswithandwithalbinism come join if you have any interest in this topic.

Jessica,

Your information about ocular albinism is wrong. There is no such thing as a recessive gene that causes ocular albinism that affects girls and boys the same. Ocular albinism is X-linked recessive which almost exclusively affects boys only. I have been to two genetic doctors and have also spoken with Dr. King at the University of Minnesota on this very subject. They have all told me the same thing.... that ocular albinism is X-linked only.

I have copied an excerpt out of Dr. King's "Facts about albinism" on ocular albinism...
    Autosomal Recessive Ocular Albinism (AROA)
    In the 1970's, a type of albinism associated with relatively normal skin and hair pigment was described in families that contained affected females and males. This appeared to be a type of ocular albinism that was caused by a gene on an autosome chromosome (non-sex chromosome) rather than on the X chromosome; hence, the name of autosomal recessive ocular albinism. We now know that this was incorrect and these families are actually part of the spectrum found in OCA1 and OCA2. At this time, there is no evidence for a true AROA type of albinism, and this term should not be used.
  • 09-12-2003 12:00 AM In reply to

• chmo601
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-12-2003
    • Posts 4
    • Points 80

on ocular albinism

my little girl has ocular albinism. she is five and she has light blond hair and fair skin.when she is in light her eyes are a red color and she cant look at lights because she says they her hurt her eyes.she has all of the symptons of ocular albinism. please write or you can call at 601 4855139
  • 09-13-2003 12:00 AM In reply to

• Lmt00
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-22-2002
    • Posts 27
    • Points 135

Re: Albinism in girls

Originally posted by Jessica_Trask:
    Lisa2,

The information portion of the website has a link for Oucular Albinism. NOAH
    there's the web site for it
    http://www.albinism.org/publications/ocular.html.

Jessica,

Here is an excerpt out of the link that you sent. It says right in it that newer research suggests that autosomal recessive ocular albinism is a variant of either OCA1 or OCA2.

"A less common type of ocular albinism shows a different pattern of inheritance, autosomal recessive. With this type of inheritance, both parents of a child with autosomal recessive ocular albinism carry the gene for it. Boys and girls are equally affected. If both mother and father carry the gene, then at each birth there is a one in four chance that the child will have ocular albinism. Newer research suggests that autosomal recessive ocular albinism is a variant of oculocutaneous albinism. The skin and hair color may be somewhat lighter than that of other family members. Autosomal recessive ocular albinism may be a variant of either tyrosinase-related (type 1) or P gene (type 2) oculocutaneous albinism (see Information Bulletin, What is Albinism?)."

chmo601,

My name is Jessica Trask. I'm quite a bit older than your daughter. I also have Ocular Albinsim. I would lowve to email you back and so that I can share my personal experiences/

Jessica Trask
    vtmapleprincess@adelphia.net or
    Aim: JessicaTrask College students come join collegestudentswithalbinism
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/collegestudentswithalbinism/
    I just recently started another group on yahoogroups. http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/educatorswithandwithalbinism come join if you have any interest in this topic.
  • 09-14-2003 12:00 AM In reply to

• amitche1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-20-2002
    • Posts 27
    • Points 840

Albinism in Girls

Hi,
    I also have a duaghter with albinism. She is bi-racial. Her hair is like a golden orangishy color and has a slight yellow tint to her skin across her nose, on her knees, and a few other places. Her eyes are hazel, and not just the typical blue.
    If you have any questions, you can ask away! Just email me at amitche1@yahoo.com

Marie
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Ad: Support NOAH Funding
Add our Google Gadget to your iGoogle page
Add to Google