NOAH AOC

The Albinism Online Community
Welcome to NOAH AOC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Ad: Get involved in research

Dying an albino's hair

Last post 10-19-2010 12:19 AM by Puppylove. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-12-2002 12:00 AM

• Vince1228
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-25-2002
    • Posts 8
    • Points 280

Dying an albino's hair

hey, I was wondering if any albino's have dyed their hair to like a blond type of color. I wanted to know which one to use to get it to look like a regular color. On the boxes of hair dye, they only tell you what color it you turn your hair if your hair is a badic color like brown, black, etc. If you have any past experiences with any colors place let me know.

Thanks

• Post Points: 185
  • 04-13-2002 12:00 AM In reply to

PLEASE READ

Hi Vinny
    I ahve read your post and I have a few things to say.
    A) Dying your hair is not going to change the fact you have albinsim.
    B) Dying your hair to pretend who you are isn't cool. It is like you are someone your not.
    C) I've nevertold anyone what I am about to say...but I tried to dye MY hair once. I was so unhappy because I din't lookl ike ME! It really upset me
    D) I am not trying to be mean. It is just that I care about each one of you and I like who you are. Not a pretend person I don't know.
    E) Albinos are cool and it is something that... well... in a way it is something to be prud of!
    If you have albinism you have to push yourself harder everyday then a normally sighted person so you actually should hav emore self pride, because you have to work harder to do what you do. THat is important. I knwo some of us are teased but if we are we should think about trying harder every day. It is diffucult but jusst keep your chin up!
    If you DO want to dye your hair still then I won't be much help. I just thought I should make those points. I am not trying to be mean or offensive to anyonme. Also I am NOT trying to be injustice to someone who dyes there hair. I just feel that way. I have ntohing agianst those people, but I just want you to understand my point.
    Sorry to anyone I may have offended.
    Daniellle
    • Post Points: 35

• tikva
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-03-2002
    • Cambridge, MA
    • Posts 19
    • Points 200

Dying to dye

Hi!

Well, I've never dyed my hair blonde, since I like the blonde it is already. But I've dyed my hair purple a couple of times. Something to keep in mind is that the color will take VERY well, and it will take an especially long time to wash/grow out. I'm no expert, but I'd use less color rather than more; you can always re-dye it if you don't find it to be dark enough, but there's no healthy way to make it lighter!

Oddly enough, since I have such unusually pale skin anyway, people don't seem that fazed by unusual hair colors on me. I've actually been told by multiple people that I'm the only person they've ever met who looked normal in purple hair. Go figure.

(For the record, my hair is back to its natural blonde. So Mom, if you're reading this, calm down. *hee*)

Rachel Tanenhaus is: tikva@pobox.com
    Tikva is my middle name (Hope) in
    Hebrew. I am not any kind of a squash in any language. Thank you.
    "My job is to comfort the disturbed, and disturb the comfortable."

• Post Points: 5

• Vince1228
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-25-2002
    • Posts 8
    • Points 280

Tikva & Daniel

Thank you for your opinions. Daniel you are right about leaving it the way it is. I was just thinking of tinting it once to see what it would look like. Sometimes I buy these blue hair dyes at CVS that come out in one wash. I can see exactly what you mean Tikva, on how if i did dye my hair not to use too much because it will come out better on an albino then a "normal" colored hair.

• Vince1228
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-25-2002
    • Posts 8
    • Points 280

sorry, I made a mistake

It's Daniellle. It won't happen again. I need to learn how to type!!
  • 04-14-2002 12:00 AM In reply to

Re: Dying an albino's hair

Vinny,

When my son was in 6th grade he wanted to dye his hair. We just used whatever we could buy at the drugstore that was supposed to wash out in 6-12 shampoos. We used a medium blond dye and Christopher ended up with an attractive ginger ale color. He dyed it for all of 6th grade, then when one of the "cool" kids said they liked it better white he stopped dyeing it. So no dye in the 7th and 8th grade, but who knows what will happen in High School next year.

• 04-14-2002 12:00 AM In reply to

• Gwen
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-14-2002
    • Albany, NY
    • Posts 95
    • Points 2,080

Dying Your Hair

Hello All,

When I was in , I think, 8th grade I tried to dye my hair blonde at a salon. They did a test strip, and it came out a champagne pink color. They tried another shade of blonde, and it came out greyish! What I was trying to acheive was the yellow blonde color of Madonna's hair in her video "Express Yourself". Since the two test strips did not work, I did not pursue it. Plus all the hair dresseer's in that salon, and in every other salon I have ever been in, always tell me how many people die (and dye) to get their hair my color! So I really realize the uniqueness and rarity of my hair.

In 9th I, like Tikva, began dying my hair all sorts of funky colors. However, this time the reason was different. I wanted to experiment with my love of color. I am an artist, so we can get away witgh anything LOL. Plus, I don't know about you, but I have always had goth kids wanting to put black mascara on my lashes LOL. They seem to think I am like a shoe in for a goth kid look! wink Anyway, in junior year of highschool, or rather the summer after, I attended a summer college prep program in Philadelphia. Of course the minute we all got there, all us cute little artist girls went running down to South Street to get dye and dye our hair. I really wanted purple, but everyone was doing purple. I hate being the same as everyone else, so I did what they couldn't do - dafodill yellow! AKA Highlighter head!!! Yes, I looked like a walking yellow high lighter marker! It was fun, and cool, and I loved it. At one point I had gotten a sun burn and had bright red skin with this yellow hair, andf while walking down the street, some man actually sopped his car, rolled down his window, and yelled "freak" at me! Now, come on, I just had to laugh! Who's the ftreak there, me walking innocently down the street, or the guy who actually stops his car to call me one! LOL Can you say lame!!!

The yellow highlighter head was the end of my hair dying until I moved to NYC for college. There I got it professionally dyed at Dramatics Studios, in SuperMan Blue, and Bright Plus Purple! I also used a lighter blue once myself by Punky Color, which is total crap. I sware by Manic Panic, and used to love their Pillar Box Red, and Enchanted Forest green (which is really a green blue, and very cool!). The Dafodill yellow was also a Manic Panic color.

I really loved my hair dying, and seeing as it was my punk, artist, skater girl phase, I was happy with me and my look. It did take a LONGGGGGGG time to wash and grow out. A lot of times people said my hair looked like cotton candy. wink

Now, since graduation in 1998, I realized that it is very hard to be taken seriously in upstate NY with multicolored hair. Plus, I am now in my low key phase. I shop at Gap and Express, and love the fact that none of my clothes have paint on them anywhere!! wink A side affect I suffered with in ollege, which made thrift store shopping both fun, and ecconomical! wink

My hair is it's own beautiful natural color, and is down to My buns. I get a lot of complimemts on it, and sometimes feel funny when people fawn over it. I like being fawned over, but sometimes it gets to be a bit much. This stems from being at a point in my life where I am getting bored with being "sexy" or considered" sexy", because I am more than a great pair of tits and buns. wink At the smae time though, I love my sexuality, so it is a real battle LOL!

Anyway..back to hair....dye it for you if "you" really want it, don't dye it in hopes of fitting in better, or looking like the "normal" popular look. I found my color changing to be much more powerful and enriching when I did it for myself, and not to fit in. Of course I was in NYC, so it makes trying new things and expressing one's weacky desires much easier! LOL

I still have a t-shirt from Manic Panic that reads "Live Fast, and Dye your Hair!"

I hope this helps!!!

-Guen, the wacky artistic one wink

Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity, lick it once, and you suck forever!

• 04-20-2002 12:00 AM In reply to

Hair dying

Well, to be really honest..I tried to dye my hair brown a while ago to try and "match" my sisters. Because of the lack of pigment in the hair strands, the brown pigment couldn't attach, and let my hair a bright red. Thank goodness I found that Blue by Miss Clairol that took it all out, but I have noticed that when I have tried to dye my hair, it's like it's a semi-permanent dye. It never stays in for long..it washes out after about a week or two. You have to go to a salon and get a "filler" before getting the dye so that it has something to attach to.

We get tired of our looks just like everyone else. All different kinds of people dye their hair for different reasons. I just get tired of mine..just like people that have straight hair want curly, vice versa. Happens to us all..Good luck.
    Nicki wink
  • 05-16-2002 12:00 AM In reply to

• chiki131
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-13-2002
    • Posts 12
    • Points 375

Your young, have fun while you can!!

Dear Vinny,
    I have tired to dye my hair before. Once a few years ago I had my hair dresser cut my hair really short and dye the stuff that she had cut off, and she did. But when she washed it out, there was nothing left but a purple tint. We did some research and I guess that our hair will only pick up the base colors of normal hair dyes. BUT there is hope, if you would like your hair a fun color like blue, green, orange, purple, red for like a day, I have used food coloring and water MANY times. It’s a great way to show school sprit, when your school color are green and white … hehe. Also last summer I found that the brand Manic Panic works really well if you would like it to stay a few days longer.

Like what was mentioned before, you can’t change your hair color and pooh hide your albinism but you can have fun with who you are. I found that I got less stares when my hair was funky colors then when it is not.

Your young, have fun while you can!!
    Life’s to short to care what others think about you!!

Best of Luck!
    Liz
  • 05-17-2002 12:00 AM In reply to

• Vince1228
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-25-2002
    • Posts 8
    • Points 280

thanks guys,

Liz, I have tried the manic Panic colors, but the onyl colors I seem to find are orange and blue. And it is very hard to get the orange one out. The blue rinses away alot easier.

Thanks for your help.
  • 09-23-2003 12:00 AM In reply to

• SHIKA
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-23-2003
    • Posts 2
    • Points 70
    I am a Albino and I won't to know can I get a perm in my hair and if so what kind can I get and what will it do to my hair.

shika

none
  • 06-24-2010 8:50 AM In reply to

• laetgov
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-31-2010
    • Posts 4
    • Points 110

Re: Dying an albino's hair

Hey

My colour: L'Oreal - Excellence creme - 930 Light Golden Blond :)

At first it feels werid because it seems sooo darker than my real colour but in fact it is still lighter than most other people.I like it because it is not too dark soI don't have to bother with self tanners and stuff all the time (if you go darker than your skin won't match your hair and it will look strange). Don't forget the eyebrows as well ;) (in a darker colour)

We all know that dying our hair won't make the albinism disappear! I know some think it is better to let our hair like they are but honestly I don't know why. Look in the street, so many people dye their hair, look in the shop how many different products there are...and if it helps us feeling good why shoudln't we do it? Why should we force ourselve to keep our hair white? I don't get that point. Just do what you feel. It's like you were saying to people who wear glasses that they shouldn't wear contacts because it's hiding their visual impairment!

• 07-10-2010 11:25 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Canada
    • Posts 1
    • Points 20

Re: PLEASE READ

I may be new to the forum but I have had much experience with this topic. Ever since I was little I remember dying my hair dark brown because I did not like my light blonde hair. and now that Im older I have come to accept my light hair. And I feel my hair will never be the same again, however if you look at models like Diandra Forrest (an albino model) She has her hair dark brown / red hair and it looks very nice on her. My point is if anyone wants to dye there hair realize the effects and damages it does to you hair because you end up paying more for products to keep your hair healthy and for that color to not fade. So if its worth it go ahead but in the long run natural hair is more beautiful.
    • Post Points: 20
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Ad: Get involved in research
Add our Google Gadget to your iGoogle page
Add to Google