NOAH AOC

The Albinism Online Community
Welcome to NOAH AOC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Ad: Get involved in research

Writing/Fine motor delay in those with low vision/nystagmus?

Last post 04-17-2008 9:48 AM by philamom. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-10-2008 6:53 AM

• philamom
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-17-2004
    • KOP, PA
    • Posts 558
    • Points 11,175

Writing/Fine motor delay in those with low vision/nystagmus?

My son has OCA1a with low vision and nystagmus. He has had a fine motor delay for awhile and now at age 4 alot of his peers are starting to write letters, their names, ect and he is behind. I was curious if anyone with albinism or with a older child with albinism found their child had a writing delay or was on task?

Thanks

• Post Points: 140
  • 04-10-2008 1:43 PM In reply to

• Mishel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-10-2008
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

Re: Writing/Fine motor delay in those with low vision/nystagmus?

Hi. I'm new to the board. I have a son who will be fourteen next week and he's still behind in his writing. He's above average in everything else, except that and the public school he attends allows him to use a laptop so he can type his assignments instead of writing them.

• Post Points: 5
  • 04-10-2008 2:02 PM In reply to

• kaysmom
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2005
    • PA
    • Posts 105
    • Points 1,640

My daughter, Kay, with OCA, was writing her name by the time she was 3, before we even found out she had albinism.  On the other hand, my son without albinism could barely write his name in kindergarten.  I think boys are just generally slower at writing.  My son could climb trees much better than he could write. 

• 04-10-2008 2:18 PM In reply to

• Lee Laughlin
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-30-2001
    • New Hampshire, U.S.A.
    • Posts 47
    • Points 845

Hi,

This is NOT uncommon in people with low vision at all.  My husband stopped writing in the 3rd grade and typed everything.  My daughter's handwriting is behind her peers (2nd grade) but not attrioucisly so. My son (3.5 years) is behind, but I'm ot overwhlemingly concerned at this point. 

Have you talked to an OT about how your son stacks up in her experience?

Good luck,
    Lee

• 04-10-2008 2:21 PM In reply to

• jonella59
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-05-2005
    • Cudahy, Wisconsin
    • Posts 477
    • Points 6,570

Hmmm...  I can't say if he is really all that far behind at age 4.  There is such a wide range of where kids are at as far things like writing letters and names at that age.  It seems girls tend to 'get it' first, but not always.  With the push to do these things at such an early age compared to when we were young, it is hard to say sometimes if a child is really delayed or not. 

I have OCA1, 20/200 in best corrected eye.  I could read at age 4 and still have the copy of Hop On Pop that I wrote my full name in at that age--first, middle, last--in very funny looking, square letters!  On the other hand, my brother, also OCA1, about the same vision, took much longer to write.   I did have some trouble when we learned cursive writing in third grade, not because of a delay, because of an ignorant teacher who for some really dumb reason made me sit in the back of the classroom next to her desk during that portion of the year.  In fifth grade, I had a teacher that made up for it and my writing is now wonderful when I need it to be.  This teacher made a deal that I only had to write my spelling words three times instead of ten, but they had to be NEAT (I was and still am an excellent speller).  It worked!  My brother does not have good handwriting, but I know an awful lot of people with normal vision with lousy writing--look at most doctors!!

A couple of things that might help would be having him write with something that is easier to see than a number 2 pencil--a washable fine line black marker, a black colored pencil, a fat primary pencil, or even a black crayon.  At his age, it isn't important to write on lined paper, he just needs to learn to form the letters correctly and write his name with only the first letter capitalized (trust me--I have heard many a teacher complain when they had to reteach a child because they wrote their name in all caps!)  Maybe you could find some stencils which he could use to trace the letters--we have some old Tupperware stencils here that my kids always loved--one of them was letters, the others were different themes like holidays.  It is important t be able to really see what you have written--I like the bold font you use--I don't need it that large, but the boldness is fabulous!

As for getting to type assignments in school.  That is such a trend these days for all students, not just those with visual impairments.  I have even seen the difference as each of my three girls have gone through school--the youngest is a seventh grader, the others have graduated.  The emphasis on good handwriting isn't there anymore.  My middle daughter had other problems not related to vision in school and she was allowed to type any assignment that could be typed--it got her to do her work!  She is extremely smart, just extremely contrary!

I remember as a little kid I liked those little magnetic letters that you can stick on the fridge and made sure my kids had them, too.  Constant reminders of what the letters look like, as well as lots of different tools to try and write with just may inspire your little guy to conquer the task! 

Good luck, and try not to worry too much yet!

Joni

• 04-10-2008 4:52 PM In reply to

Our daughter, now almost 6 with OCA, has been writing and drawing nonstop for the past few years.  She's always writing us notes and LOVES to draw.  However...her grip is terrible.  She still uses a "fist" grip and despite that, her writing actually looks pretty good and her drawings can be pretty elaborate.  She did qualify for OT services and is receiving OT in school to work on the pencil grip and while in OT, she does use the tripod grasp (correct grip, first 2 fingers and the thumb) but once she leaves the OT room, she generally goes back to her own way, unless we remind her to use "alligator fingers" as the OT says.  And she uses a "gripper" on her pencils to help maintain the correct grip.  As far as other fine motor issues, she had no problems with puzzles, stringing beads, lacing shapes, etc., although she just mastered scissors this past year.  Is your son receiving OT?   

• 04-10-2008 5:10 PM In reply to

Kira:

Zach can write the first four letters of his name or so, but doesn't really write the whole thing yet unless he's pushed.  He gets frustrated sometimes, but I don't think it has to do with his vision.  I think he's just having a harder time "getting it" like people said above.  His fine motor skills have always been on target and he holds the pencil properly, but like another person said, would much rather be playing with his race cars than writing his name.  I would say if Kyle is working on writing his letters, that is perfectly ok at this age. 

• Post Points: 20
  • 04-10-2008 5:34 PM In reply to

• Cheryl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-26-2006
    • Tx
    • Posts 326
    • Points 5,435

I have a 4 yr old w/out Albinism, and he cannot write his name yet.   He can write some letters, but not his name yet.

• 04-10-2008 7:47 PM In reply to

• philamom
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-17-2004
    • KOP, PA
    • Posts 558
    • Points 11,175

Thanks for the feedback. He does get OT, I was just curious if others with low vision had writing issues

• 04-10-2008 10:50 PM In reply to

• Meghan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-23-2002
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 287
    • Points 4,345

My handwrights is great, but MAN i cannot cut a straight line if my life depended on it...well maybe if my life really depended on it, but it would take a while. they do say that there are some delays with people with vision problems with the fine motor skills.

I also can't spell if my life depended on it...like really if i were int hat situation, yep going slower wouldn't help lol. With that I've read it is because of how the brain memorizes words and spelling. Since I try and read just as fast as every one else, I am only seeing a few letters of the word and my brain is comprehending it. In reality I may not be reading the correct word, and am definatly learning how to spell it wrong. I am very much a phanetic speller, as are many other people with vision problems...not just the ones that come with albinism.

And witht he spelling, just look around on this forum at the people with albinism who write on here....man we stink at spelling! hahahah

~Meghan :) 

• 04-12-2008 11:44 PM In reply to

• Bebs85
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-06-2007
    • Posts 56
    • Points 595

I am a first year OT student with OCA.  I am just a student but I am pretty sure that any of the standardized assessments OTs use can be used accurately for children as young as 4.  How are other tasks involving his fine motor skills?  It probably wouldn't hurt to mention the handwriting to his OT and see what she thinks.  Although, if it is just handwriting difficulties, I would guess that it is not a motor impairment.  But you can keep encouraging him and providing oppurtunities for writing and tracing letters and make it fun so your son doesn't lose interest =)  Good luck!

• 04-12-2008 11:44 PM In reply to

• Bebs85
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-06-2007
    • Posts 56
    • Points 595

I am a first year OT student with OCA.  I am just a student but I am pretty sure that any of the standardized assessments OTs use can be used accurately for children as young as 4.  How are other tasks involving his fine motor skills?  It probably wouldn't hurt to mention the handwriting to his OT and see what she thinks.  Although, if it is just handwriting difficulties, I would guess that it is not a motor impairment.  But you can keep encouraging him and providing oppurtunities for writing and tracing letters and make it fun so your son doesn't lose interest =)  Good luck!

• 04-13-2008 8:15 PM In reply to

• Alli
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-05-2002
    • Bay Area, CA
    • Posts 45
    • Points 1,120

Hi there,

I am an OT as well as a person with Albinism.  It isn't uncommon for kiddos with low vision to have delays in their motor skills.  Some things that work really well are to use things like shaving cream, sand, or anything else textured that will allow him to feel as well as see the end product of writing his letters.  Also, just remember that some kids develop some skills later than others.  While this could be related to his vision, it could also just be that he isn't quite ready to sit down with a piece of paper and a pencil just yet!

Hope this helps, and if you have any other questions please don't hesitate to contact me!!!

Allison

• 04-13-2008 8:49 PM In reply to

Hello everyone.

I have enjoyed reading the posts on this topic.  I have a one year old daughter with OA and I am a special education teacher.  It has been my experience that boys typically struggle with fine motor skills more than girls. I have a five year old son who would rather walk on hot coals than pick up a pencil and write his name or color a picture.  He is very bright but does not enjoy fine motor activities (unless Playdough or Legos are involved).  My daughter on the other hand is already very into putting a crayon or pencil on paper.

I really think it depends on the child and sometimes fine motor skills develop as the child matures.  Also, practice of any kind is helpful.

Hope this helps!

Amy 

• 04-17-2008 9:48 AM In reply to

• philamom
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-17-2004
    • KOP, PA
    • Posts 558
    • Points 11,175

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful feedback !!

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Ad: Get involved in research
Add our Google Gadget to your iGoogle page
Add to Google