NOAH AOC

The Albinism Online Community
Welcome to NOAH AOC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Ad: Support NOAH Funding

Searching for best laptop for visually impaired

Last post 12-28-2010 11:37 AM by davidlfields. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-03-2009 11:14 AM

Searching for best laptop for visually impaired

I am not sure where the best place is to post this, but I am an adult with albinism and I have just started my own stationery business.  I spend a lot of time on my desktop computer designing invitations, announcements, and cards.  My husband and I are going to purchase a laptop soon and I really want to try to find something that will be big enough for me to see, but also be portable enough to travel with.  I haven't done a ton of research yet, but was curious if anyone had any recommendations for me. Thanks!

• Post Points: 95
  • 08-05-2009 7:55 PM In reply to

• JohnnysGirl
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-05-2009
    • Pennsylvania
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

Re: Searching for best laptop for visually impaired

Hi --

I do not personally have albinism but I have been dating a man with albinism and I noticed that he uses a Dell laptop computer.  I also have a Dell and I love it, plus I notice on their website that they offer a High Definition screen at 17", 15.4", and 14.1", so any of those would be easy to travel with (Mine is 14.1" across).  

On my Dell all I have to do to zoom in to a very close level with the text is hold down the CTRL key (all the way at the bottom left corner of the keyboard) and use the scroller on the touchpad.  It can get as close as almost a size 72 font.  I know this works for websites but I am not sure about other programs such as design programs for stationery.  I believe most programs have a zoom option, some up to 1600% of original size.  

Again, I might not be the best person to ask but I know my boyfriend loves his Dell computer and so do I.  This page shows you some of the Dell Studio Laptops and all of these laptops on this page have 17" wide screens.  I hope that helps you, and good luck with your stationery business!

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop_studio_17?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

• Post Points: 5
  • 08-06-2009 12:51 PM In reply to

I don't know of any specific brands, but I can at least reccomend a program (A blind friend of mine pointed to this)

http://www.freedomscientific.com/products/fs/jaws-product-page.asp

I also know on most computers, you can set the default font to be rather large without much trouble. 

• 08-19-2009 3:35 PM In reply to

• LEX
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-28-2002
    • NE
    • Posts 37
    • Points 425

Most laptops from various manufacturers bascally are the same.  The case design is the main difference between them. 

Another main consideration to keep in mind is that most newer laptops nowadays have the glossy screen, which I'm not a big fan of.  If you can, get one with a matte finish which reflects glare less and is easier to read, especially outdoors.

With that said, I wold pick one in the mid range.  Low priced ones will have less overall performance and omit some extras the higher end models offer.  Allso, avoid the top of the line ones too since the upfront cost you pay gives diminishing returns.  

They have come down in price compared to a few years ago.  You can get a pretty good laptop for around a thousand bucks.

• Post Points: 20
  • 09-05-2009 9:54 AM In reply to

• nizzy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-05-2009
    • Grenada
    • Posts 21
    • Points 240

waw, i'm looking for the same thing!

the only progress i've made is that i find that they're making most laptops with backlighted bottons now which is a huge plus to me because black buttons on laptops have always made typing a hellish experiance for me. I've been searching dells btw just because i find there customizing method handy

• 05-11-2010 6:11 AM In reply to

• Ion256
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-11-2010
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

I'd like to tell you about a site which helped me.

http://www.abisee.com/products.html#BlindSolutions

• 05-14-2010 9:49 AM In reply to

I love the full screen zoom feature on my Mac, butit does have to be said they are rather pricey. 

• 12-20-2010 5:15 PM In reply to

• April
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-15-2010
    • Alabama
    • Posts 37
    • Points 1,105

I have a mac and  LOVE IT!! I can sit back in my chair and never lean forward to read or anything, all because it has a zoom feature and  blows up the letters to a site with the touch of a button, I think I would go nuts with out it.

• 12-22-2010 3:57 AM In reply to

• albino15
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-16-2007
    • Posts 11
    • Points 145

I LOVE THE ZOOM FEATURE ON MY MAC! NUF SAID
  • 12-28-2010 11:37 AM In reply to

My problem with lap-tops is the keyboard and tracpad getting in the way of my face reaching the screen. I have to strain my neck andupper back to "hunch" over the keyboard toring my face close enough to the monitor to see well. I also must turn down the resolution to get the icons large enough to recognize.

With these issues, I am EXCITED about the idea of the newer "tablet" computers. (Think Ipad) Being able to bring he image to my face in strewad of vece versa is a good idea. especially since I notice more back pain as I get older. (Hunching over my desk to read in school did bad things to me. not that all the L-print books in my backpack helped.)

I hope this helps.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Ad: Support NOAH Funding
Add our Google Gadget to your iGoogle page
Add to Google