NOAH AOC

The Albinism Online Community
Welcome to NOAH AOC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Ad: Reoommend a Dr.

Why people wear glasses if they don't help? Why do you wear them?

Last post 04-17-2011 11:45 AM by Jess Trask . 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-01-2010 11:30 AM

Why people wear glasses if they don't help? Why do you wear them?

Hello to all. My name is Christine.

I wear glasses from my childhood, but they don't correct my vision. BUT i wear them. cause i feel comfort for my eyes.

And what are your reasons?

• Post Points: 110
  • 09-01-2010 3:35 PM In reply to

Re: Why people wear glasses if they don't help? Why do you wear them?

They help with astigmatism. My son has it bad and the glasses help him see a lil better. If one does not have an astigmatism I don;t see the need for them

• Post Points: 5
  • 09-01-2010 7:31 PM In reply to

• Alaskan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-30-2009
    • Posts 35
    • Points 355

I don't wear prescription glasses because they're of no use to me.:)   However I will wear sunglasses since they cut out the glare and make it easier to see outside.

• 09-02-2010 2:39 AM In reply to

• Gabatola
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2005
    • Posts 96
    • Points 1,135

Hello Lucia,

I discovered way too late in life (age 17) I had Astigmatism. I feel to this day that if I was diagnosed properly as a child, my vision would be better today. My Parents did the best they could being immigrants who didn't speak English very well. They took me to many Doctors who gave me prescription glasses - but were of no help whatsoever. I finally explained to an eye doctor whose practice is hundreds of miles north of where I live that when I squeezed my corneas, my vision got sharper.

For years, eyeglasses did nothing for me, until this Doctor was able to diagnose me correctly. I'm not saying the other Doctors before him didn't care; I'm saying that maybe they weren't capable of diagnosing someone with Albinism correctly. Who knows... maybe they did write me off to collect a check. Astigmatism is very important to check for. 

-G

• Post Points: 20
  • 09-04-2010 11:14 AM In reply to

• Brian
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-02-2002
    • Manchester England
    • Posts 451
    • Points 5,795

Gabatola,

I may be able to shed some light on your experience. 

Eye Docs always check for astigmatism, half the population of the world have a small amount of it.  Albinos tend to have a lot, maybe between 2 and 6 Diopters.  

When you squeeze your cornea you do change your astigmatism - but in an uncontrolled way.  You found a certain measure of success when you pressed in a certain way- but there is no guarantee that the distortion you have produced is symmetrical.  What you have discovered for yourself is irregular astigmatism in which the curvature of one side of your eye is not the same as the other side   Pressing one side of your eye more than the other side tends to even things out.

Regular glasses are able to correct regular symmetrical astigmatism but do not correct irregular astigmatism.  There have been attempts to correct irregular astigmatism in glasses but success has been limited.

It is only recently that the eye Doc has had the instrumentation (abberometer)  to measure irregular astigmatism.  These instruments are really the province of the lasik surgeon.

You may consider it worthwhile to have a lasik surgeon check the curvature of your eye.  You might then consider lasik surgery, not to fix your overall refractive error but merely to trim your astigmatism back to symmetry.  At that point regular glasses should offer a better improvement to your vision.

Cheers,  Brian

• 09-04-2010 11:36 AM In reply to

I have a little Astigmatism, between +0.75 and +1.25 Dioptries. You'll think, that my Ast. is veeeeryyy little. But when i tired, i see double-things and that is awfull, plus i have far-sightness, horizontal-vertical Strabismus and i have a very baad binocular vision :-( 

Our Eye Doc. told me that i must wear Frenel's Prismes for my binoc. vision

• 09-05-2010 4:21 AM In reply to

• Brian
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-02-2002
    • Manchester England
    • Posts 451
    • Points 5,795

Christine,

Your astigmatism is unlikely tio be a problem.  Some people who have good vision, better than 20 20 notice that uncorrected astigmatism causes a double image in each eye - even with the other eye covered.

Most albinos have a squint (strabismus) and their brain learns early in life to use one eye at a time rather than the two eyes together.  You are lucky to have any binocular vision.  Your eye Doc is correct in suggesting prisms to improve your binocular vision when you are tired.  Depending on how strong a prism is required you may either have the prism built into the plastic lens (up to about 5 prism dioptres) or have a stick on Fresnel prism (in the range 3 - 30 dioptres)

Brian

• 09-05-2010 5:48 AM In reply to

Brian,

Thanks for your answer.

I use only one eye and Eye Doc. told me that we can't correct it.  :'-(

(Actually i'm not diagnosed with Albinism. I know, that  at 2.8 years old my Disks of optic nerves were acyanotic with a grayish shade.Borders were indistinct. Arteries were narrowed. And sometimes my eyes move left-right.)

Christine

• 09-28-2010 3:01 AM In reply to

• Glei
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-28-2010
    • Albania
    • Posts 16
    • Points 230

there are this photocromatic glasses that halp you alot what they do is change color in based of the light of the ambient you are they cool and relax your eyes

i do use it

• 01-05-2011 4:57 AM In reply to

I have 20/100 uncorrected and 20/70 corrected. My contacts help my eye feel a lor better. They say with albinoism you have a thinner covering (i'm not sure what it is offically called by the thing that protects from sunlight and light, and its the covering that prevents people from seeing the blood behind the pupil.)anyway when I wear my contacts my eyesfeel so much better. I think it does help. Without my contacts if there is a bright light or even wind blowing into my eye it hurts, but my contacts are like a shield.

• 01-10-2011 2:27 AM In reply to

• Mazran
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-16-2008
    • India
    • Posts 155
    • Points 1,740

i dont like to wear glasses cause they not help me in anyway but still docters here suggest s me to wear glasses
  • 01-10-2011 12:37 PM In reply to

• Beth
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-07-2010
    • Texas
    • Posts 38
    • Points 570

I wore glasses until the end of my sophmore year in high school. For most of my childhood they helped a little, but as I got older I could tell less and less difference in when I was wearing them and when I wasn't. I finally mentioned to my eye doctor that I didn't really notice a difference in my vison with or without glasses, so he tested it and my aquity (sp?) was the same with my glasses and without them. I wore them a year or so after finding that out for school just in case they would help keep me from straining my eyes so much but would take them off when I got home and half the time would forget to put them back on the next morning. Finally I quit wearing them altogether after they got bent really bad when I got hit in the face playing basketball. The funny thing is after I stopped wearing them my vison improved. Before my sophmore year my aquity was 20/100, right before my hunior year (after not wearing glasses for about 4 months) it was 20/60 and I noticed a huge difference when I went back to school. I could see the board from the 2nd or 3rd row in classes that the year before I couldn't even see from the front row. I've wondered if maybe we get a little too dependent on glasses and maybe that weakens our vison. Now I know some of you have much worse vison than I had and depend on glasses or contacts to be able to see pretty much anything, but for us whose vison is around 20/150-20/100 maybe we should try not to use them all the time and see if that helps, just a thought. I know it just seemed really strange that my vison had always bee between 20/100 and 20/150 until I stopped wearing glasses and then it made such a drastic improvement just over the period of a few months.

• 01-11-2011 3:25 AM In reply to

• Mazran
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-16-2008
    • India
    • Posts 155
    • Points 1,740

Jessica -- even i tried contacts but my eyes are not stable so its not confortable for me to use it and after removeing it the area around my eyes turns red ....sorry for my bad english
  • 04-17-2011 11:45 AM In reply to

• Jess Trask
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 04-13-2011
    • Claremont New Hampshire
    • Posts 136
    • Points 1,455

Hi Lucia and all,

I wore glasses from the age about three or four until about roughly five or six years ago. I realia\zed at about the age of 12 or so that the glasses won't working any longer. It was only once I was in my mid  late twenties before I felt comfortable enough to say anything.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Ad: Reoommend a Dr.
Add our Google Gadget to your iGoogle page
Add to Google