NOAH AOC

The Albinism Online Community
Welcome to NOAH AOC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Ad: Reoommend a Dr.

laser eye surgery-ocular albinism with nystagmus

Last post 05-13-2009 7:27 PM by samir5799. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-02-2004 12:00 AM

laser eye surgery-ocular albinism with nystagmus

Anyone out there have info on laser eye surgery for people with ocular albinism??
    • Post Points: 50
  • 06-03-2004 12:00 AM In reply to

I have no info for you.... Sorry.

I have wondered the same, however. I have been told in the past that no proceedure "currently" available would really be of help (in other words, worth the trouble of trying). But things change all the time and advancements are made too often to keep up with! I look forward to hearing ftom others about news in the field of laser sugery.

Cheryl
    <--- who can't stand to watch eye surgery on TV, forget having it done!
    • Post Points: 5

Laser surgery

Heidi,

If you are referring to LASIK surgery, I may have some info for you. I do not have albinism, but I have had LASIK surgery.

According to the surgeon's office who performed LASIK on me, they can and have performed LASIK on people with albinism/nystagmus. According to him, LASIK can (not always will) get you corrected to your best corrected vision so that you do not have to wear glasses/contacts. It will not, of course, correct anything that is not a refractive error. So, any problems you have with vision that are currently not corrected with glasses/contacts will not be corrected by the laser.

One word of caution: do your reasearch. I am not a completely happy LASIK patient because of the side effects and loss of functional vision I now have especially driving at night. I was very farsighted and had a lot of astigmatism before the surgery. I now have problems driving at night because of glare and halos that surround lights. I also was undercorrected, so I still wear glasses. I am not sure if I want an enhancement procedure done to try and get me to 20/20 given the problems I am having with night driving, even though an enhancment is supposedly going to help with that.

Just my personal experience, but I hope this answers some of your questions!

Brittany Roof

• JayGirl
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-09-2004
    • Georgia
    • Posts 38
    • Points 365

albinism & lasik

I have albinism, and I have had Lasik. It can be done even if you have nystagmus. As Brittany posted, it will only correct a refractive error (farsighted, nearsighted, or astigmatism). You can usually be corrected with surgery to whatever you can be corrected to with glasses or contacts. There are possible side effects and possible complications. After I had my first eye done my eye was dry for a few months but it has returned to almost normal. After the surgery on my second eye I really had no discomfort or dryness. I'm very pleased especially because I have been corrected from legal blindness 20/400 to best correction of 20/70. I don't have bad halos at night. There are different circumstances and outcomes with everyone, though. Your surgeon should discuss all of these with you before you ever consent to having surgery.
    • Post Points: 20
  • 05-13-2009 7:27 PM In reply to

Re: albinism & lasik

Dear, I have son and daughter 18&28 years old, both are albino with its full picture. They are doing well, regarding their eyes I hope you tell me where u did your Lasik operation and how are you doing now. God bless you all Thanks SAMIR M. Mostafa.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Ad: Support NOAH Funding
Add our Google Gadget to your iGoogle page
Add to Google