NOAH AOC

The Albinism Online Community
Welcome to NOAH AOC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Ad: Support NOAH Funding

Head Shaking

Last post 04-21-2012 12:53 AM by Roxanne. 34 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-02-2007 7:30 PM

Head Shaking

I have been asked many times why my head is shaking while I am writing I have been told it moves from side to side as if to say no I am a Licensed Vocational Nurse. I was in a patient's room one day charting information about that patient. He looked at me and ask what was wrong, and , had his condition changed. I said "no" He said "then why are you shaking your head no?"It is really embarassing to me and I can't even feel when it is happening. Does anyone else have this problem?    

• Post Points: 230
  • 05-03-2007 1:47 PM In reply to

• moneypenny
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-20-2003
    • Portland, Oregon
    • Posts 44
    • Points 590

Re: Head Shaking

Debra, I have had some problems with this too. When I was younger I did it a lot more. Every now and then I'll still catch myself doing it, usually when I'm either very tired or really concentrating on something; usually reading.  I won't even notice it, until my neck starts to get sore from my head moving back and forth in quick little movements.

I would take a very non-medically trained guess in saying that the head shaking is due to us trying to componsate for nystagmus.

I can understand why you would be concerned with it, particularily in your line of work. If anybody has any suggetions on how to improve the head shaking I would love to hear them too.

• Post Points: 5
  • 05-03-2007 5:17 PM In reply to

• Brian
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-02-2002
    • Manchester England
    • Posts 451
    • Points 5,795

My head used to shake quite a lot in anti-phase to the wobble in my eyes. When my eyes went left my head went right - and vica versa. 

Maybe it still does - but people are too polite to mention it.

Brian 

• 05-18-2007 4:51 AM In reply to

• psy_ery
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-23-2005
    • Posts 21
    • Points 300

Hello to all.

I think this is happening to most of us, the head shaking I mean. I dont think it is so serious that we should care about it. If other people like to notice it, let them do so. The problem itself has to do with nystagmus as it was mentioned before. So there is not much we can do about it. We can be careful not to do it, pay attention on what we do while reading, trying not to get very tired etc.

But I insist that you should not feel embarrassed about it since it is not your fault. As a matter of fact, I dont think that it is so easy for someone to notice

Keep going

• 05-19-2007 10:19 PM In reply to

• Melissa
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-26-2007
    • Posts 24
    • Points 380

When ever I am looking at someing that I need to see that is small my head shakes as well. The reason we do this is because our brain tyr to make up for the nystagmus. If a patient ask you why your shaking you head just tell them it helps you to read and be able to see better. Most people will most likely say ok and you can moive on with the task at hand. It is nothing to be emberassed about.

Keep smiling it will get you thourgh.

Melissa

• Post Points: 20
  • 06-08-2007 4:38 PM In reply to

• Typozfem
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-26-2002
    • Posts 94
    • Points 1,490

I have heard other people say this but I have never had it. I thought it was only in a very few people. Maybe I am wrong.
  • 05-21-2008 6:36 PM In reply to

• DFaye
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-21-2008
    • Posts 3
    • Points 60

Hi Debra, I came across this site when googling "tremors". You may have the same problem as me. My head moves when I am trying to do fine motor things like putting on eyeliner,writing, and even when I lie down to go to sleep. I looked up types of tremors and it seems to be a tremor called "essential". When I visit my family each will tell me that my head is shaking "again!" I am usually aware of it and the back of my neck becomes tight because of it. The tremors are so embarrassing when you're around other people who you don't know well. My doctor put me on a med called "propranolol" and it really has helped about 95%. I have also had anxiety problems/panic disorder all my life but the tremors have nothing to do with this problem. I feel for you and I hope you can talk to a doctor about this and everything works out for you.Good Luck!

• 05-23-2008 1:44 AM In reply to

• Mazran
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-16-2008
    • India
    • Posts 155
    • Points 1,740

,Re: Head Shaking,Hello all good people when i read something very closly or write something my head shakes from left to right ,at start its intensity is very fast but after some time shakeing slows down,when i was small my class mate laugh at me for sh

,Re: Head Shaking,Hello all good people when i read something very closly or write something my head shakes from left to right ,at start its intensity is very fast but after some time shakeing slows down,when i was small my class mate laugh at me for shakeing my head at that time i also use to feel very ambarrsed . ,, Post
  • 05-23-2008 1:04 PM In reply to

• Sunshinegirl
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-11-2006
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 91
    • Points 2,115

Re: ,Re: Head Shaking,Hello all good people when i read something very closly or write something my head shakes from left to right ,at start its intensity is very fast but after some time shakeing slows down,when i was small my class mate laugh at me for

This is something I've dealt with too. I notice it especially when I am reading or tracking something closely. My head shakes in kind of a short, jerky way. I think it has something to do with the nystagmus and tracking.

It's interesting, recently a couple of people have pointed out things to me that they've noticed since I was a child but I never really have, like the fact that I have a slight head tilt, the head shaking, etc. I wish sometimes people would tell you things about yourself sooner so that you can try and correct them.

Just a few thoughts....

• 07-18-2008 5:14 PM In reply to

• ekmong
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-18-2008
    • Joliet, Illinois
    • Posts 13
    • Points 285

I do this alot.  I really never notice it.  But I am a teacher and since I work with children they always point things out!  I first became aware of it when I was verbally testing  some students and taking notes.  One girl asked me if she was getting them all wrong.  Since then, I have tried to make myself more aware when working with them and jotting notes to make positive comments to the students while I write.  This tends to help them pay attention to what I say instead of what my head is doing while i write.

• 07-18-2008 7:19 PM In reply to

• DFaye
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-21-2008
    • Posts 3
    • Points 60

Dear Ekmong, I've already written on this site that I have this problem. The tremors will get worse over time,not better.It can be embarrassing and bothersome when others are constantly telling u that ur head is shaking. Some people don't say anything they're just wondering what's wrong with u. Obviously when ur head is shaking in front of the kids they are getting mixed messages as u pointed out.You have come up with somewhat of a solution to this but u really need to go take care of yourself,go to visit ur Doctor. Then ur Doctor should refer u to a neurologist. You should find out what is causing the head shaking and get proper care for it, I did and life is a lot happier now. I can't say I'm 100% but close to it and greatful.

• 07-18-2008 7:37 PM In reply to

• ekmong
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-18-2008
    • Joliet, Illinois
    • Posts 13
    • Points 285

This is something that has been discussed with my dr.  The neurologist and dr both agree that my head shaking is a result of me compensating for my eye movement.  I do appreciate your concern because it could have been something serious!

• 08-07-2008 12:28 PM In reply to

• jhollo4
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-07-2008
    • Posts 1
    • Points 20

I have also had this problem. I never really new it until i got older. I guess my family never said anything about it or didn't see anything wrong with it. I am 26 years old, and I thought I was normal.until here recently my boyfriends says.Why does your head always move like that. I didn't have an answer because I never even realized that it was moving. I later ask one of my child hood friends did my head shake while we was growing up, he said yes, I replied why didn't you ever say anything, he said he that it was just apart of me. I am puzzled because i can't feel it moving, if i could I would control so I am not sure when its moving and when its not.

• 08-07-2008 5:17 PM In reply to

• Kelli
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-11-2007
    • South Dakota
    • Posts 215
    • Points 2,945

Ryker's head shakes also.  I only notice it when he is really concentrating on looking at something.  He's almost 2, will it continue to shake?  I'm assuming so, considering many adults with albinism don't realize it's happening. 

Kelli

• 08-07-2008 8:32 PM In reply to

• ekmong
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-18-2008
    • Joliet, Illinois
    • Posts 13
    • Points 285

I would say yes he will continue to do it.  I am 31 and still do it.  People seem to notice it more when I am concentrating.  I really cannot say that it causes any problems.  Just something people notice...and will ask why are you shaking your head no?...And if they are a little closer to you...why do your eyes move like that?  My suggestion is to make sure he can tell people about it (when he is old enough).  I know when I was growing up there was little info and nothing like this where people share info.  When I was younger poeple would ask and I didnt know what to say..it made me a little self conscious until I learned how to explain it.

Erin

Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Ad: Support NOAH Funding
Add our Google Gadget to your iGoogle page
Add to Google