NOAH AOC

The Albinism Online Community
Welcome to NOAH AOC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Ad: Get involved in research

Melanin injections

Last post 11-17-2008 8:30 AM by Una. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-24-2008 6:28 AM

• bernice
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-20-2007
    • Posts 44
    • Points 955

Melanin injections

Hello all

Just been surfing a bit and came across this

http://www.melanocorp.com/

Any views on this?  I am not looking for a remedy for my little girl who has OCA1B but just interested to see what's out there on the market.  Don't think this is available in Ireland but has anyone ever come across it in USA or UK?  Any comments? 

Regards

Bernice

• Post Points: 50
  • 06-15-2008 11:34 AM In reply to

• dan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-15-2008
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

Re: Melanin injections

Hi Bernice,

I came across your question while surfing the net, and thought I'd let you know that them injections really do work.

I took them myself for going on holidays, and I really was amazed at the results. I didnt burn at all on holidays, and after being in the sun for only an hour, I went darker than I've ever gone.

A friend of mine who has red hair and very fair skin told me about it, and he even has a great tan!!!

You do one injection in the morning and one in the evening for ten days then thats it.

It would certainly help your daughter for definite

Hope that hepls you and your daughter

Dan

• Post Points: 5
  • 06-17-2008 6:58 PM In reply to

Bernice,

Since your daughter has OCA 1B the mutation  of gene is already leaky gene which means it's letting out minial amounts of melanin in her skin. Is the injections may not work like you want it too, And, most of the problems have to do with how the eye are wired in the brain  

• Post Points: 20
  • 06-18-2008 1:52 PM In reply to

• Una
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-20-2004
    • UK
    • Posts 258
    • Points 2,495

This could turn into a very controversial post and I am not getting involved in the actual discussions of the ethics as my kids will not be doing this while they need my consent

So setting aside the ethics of injecting a minor to achieve a tan, you will still need to consider:

1: Competency in mixing and administering injections

2: Side effects clearly highlighted on studies (do an academic search)

• 06-18-2008 2:02 PM In reply to

I agree with Una, what is that saying to your child. "Oh you look better with darker skin". I think this might give a kid a complex. Parents should think of later consequences to this if they want to do this to a child.

I have not researched , nor will I, but if there are side effects, that is even moe scary.

When Andy is 18, he can make that decison.... (and who knows what might be out there in 16 1/2 years.)

• 10-11-2008 1:45 PM In reply to

• Kelsey
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2008
    • Texas USA
    • Posts 200
    • Points 3,010

I am 14, and I think I also have OCA1B. If I was given the choice of this I would prefer not to have it done...

• 10-13-2008 9:51 AM In reply to

• bernice
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-20-2007
    • Posts 44
    • Points 955

Hello all

I see there are some new posts to my query on this.  In case anyone should think that I was considering these injections for my daughter who is only 2yrs and 8 months that was not at all the case.  I was merely looking to see what people might do for products in later life and my bit of research brought me to this product.  I was more interested to see if anyone has ever come across it or used it in later life.  There is indeed a huge ethical question around such product and rest assured that if my daughter were ever to use such products it would have to be her choice as an adult and hers alone.  I would never advocate interfering with a child's skin and thankfully as someone pointed out the OCA1B gene allows a little pigment in the skin so hopefully Grace will manage just fine.  Regardless of her type of OCA we are proud to have her in our family and we know she will ok.  

Just wanted to post that as I am sure if people were thinking that we were considering taking such drastic action to alter Grace's skin, they must have been horrified!  As explained that wasn't the intention, my query was purely to gather information! 

Thanks

• 10-14-2008 5:42 PM In reply to

• Kelsey
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2008
    • Texas USA
    • Posts 200
    • Points 3,010

It probably would not help with visual impairment and things like nystagmus/strabismus anyway, right? Those are worse than looking different, at least to me!

• 11-17-2008 8:30 AM In reply to

• Una
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-20-2004
    • UK
    • Posts 258
    • Points 2,495

This has been on the news today! Called Melanotan the report says it increases the amount of melanin your body NATURALLY PRODUCES. It is illegal in the UK as it is NOT licensed and the public are being told that the companies selling it have been threatened with prosecution

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Ad: Reoommend a Dr.
Add our Google Gadget to your iGoogle page
Add to Google